Sunday 14 July 2013

ROTARY monday 24th-friday 28

So my second day in europewas monday the 24th, on that day i woke up still feeling sick, didnt eat anything and just chilled at the house, and then Nienkes boyfriend Nicolaas then in the afternoon we had to go into roermond centrum ..and i had to go by bike.. which I found out i dont like to do! we went to a Kruidvart (took me so lng to be able to say that and have people actually know what im saying!) i got some stuff like shampoo and hair brush only to find out that my visa didnt work.. you can imagine my horror that the first time using my visa in europe it didnt work luckily niekne had some cash and paid for me, when we got back to the house Hanneke told me that vis a normally doesnt work in most drug stores and grocery stores. By that night i was beginning to notice so real differences in a lot of little things... of course now i can think of barely any of themm.. but then again im a lot more used to it now too. Some that i can think of are... that in between the doors here i dont know if we just dont have it in canada but.. here i am constantly tripping on the door frames or missing a drop from the floor to somewhere else, the tea like i said in my last blog, dutch people eat a lot more sweet food, example, at break fast time they have so much bread adn then on their bread they have nutella or jam or something and then chocolate flakes or choclate sprinkles and if they have cereal and to my family it would be considered a sweet cereal, well they sprinkle Sugar on that. After dinner on the monday i went with Nienke to her dance class, Nicolaas came to so I wouldnt be alone, because I wasnt dancing. I got to meet her friend Vadime and we got on well :) watching her class was really cool it made me miss my own and really made me want to join in haha but of course all the descriptions for what they were doing was in dutch and so was the counting. On tuesday we had a plan to go to the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam to see art work by Van Gogh and Andy Warhol and Rembrandt, but the morning i threw up again, figuring out that I had gotten the flu (perfect timing right?) so we didnt go, and i was really dissapointed. It kind of ironic really a couple of days before leaving I had gotten the horrible thought of öh how much would it suck if i got sick while i was there?" and then look what happened, i think theres a saying "speak of the devil and the devil shall appear".  So that tuesday me nienke got to know each other a lot more, as well as watching the twilight movies *which also made me a little homesick, its so flat here no mountains any where and the tress are small and they seem kinda... Ive been trying to think of a word since i got here and all i can come up with in placed :P candas more wild i guess ahha* I ddint eat anything on the tuesday
                    On the wednesday I was sick again (not a good start to my trip) didnt eat anything as far as i remember but that night i went to Maartje's musicalk at her school, she was in her last year of elementary school and is 11, and every school for that year has a musical of the "graduating"students. Maartje's musical was called "Paniek in de Snoep Fabriek" which means Panic in the candy factory... So i watched a musical made of up eleven year olds in dutch about a candy factory... needless to say it consissted of a lot of smiling and nodding and understanding nothing.
                    On the thursday I think i finally eat something but was still feeling rather gross, in the afternoon Vadime came over and so did nicolaas and then in the a little later Vadime left and Nienke went to nicolaas's house and me and maartje watched a movie. After the movie hanneke asked if i wanted to go with her and Maartje into Roermond and i was feeling a bit better and so decided just to make up my mind that i wasnt sick and that I wouldnt let it ruin my trip and went with them. I got to see some more shops and just kinda feel the amotsphere and it is a different kind of feeling than it is at home.
                    On Friday in the morning i went with Nienke to her school to get her report card and it was like a 20 minute bike ride in the rain and my newly recovering body felt like it was an hour and i think i might have nearly died haha. I met some of her friends at the school including a girl called Imke, who also plays volleyball (though by her height id different rather play with her than against.) After we got back home (around lunch) we went to go pick up Maartje from her school as it was the "graduating"class's last day all of the girls were crying and crying (I asked nienke why, and she told me its because a lot of them wont be going to the same highshool as eachother) maartje was also crying. When we got home we tried to cheer her up and had lunch and then took her shopping for summer clothes. When we got into roermond this time we actually really got to go into the shops! and thus started my shopping in the ntherlands! First week?? sick and homesick anbd jetlagged, and at the same time starting to fall inlove with the Netherlands and learning more of the language.

No comments:

Post a Comment