Sunday 14 July 2013

ROTARY Catching up-first day

Okay so I had said that I would write when I got to Europe and then when I getting here I really did try and remember to write but the keyboard was in Dutch, the site was in Dutch and I also couldn't remember my username to log into this thing in the first place.... Also factoring in that I am lazy. So I might as well just do it now! For those of you who did not hear from when I first got here I got horribly sick on the plane. I threw up and the air hostess thought I was going to faint and had to put an "air compresser" on me... Though really I'm pretty sure it was just wet paper towel... Needless to say that when arriving in the schiphol airport where everything was written in this language that I had no idea what it said and I was sick and tired (didn't get any sleep on the plane thanks to the German woman who was sitting beside me(I was on the aisle seat)who decided she would make it impossible for me to be able to get comfortable, and I swear she had to get up to go pee like every five seconds!) it was such a relief to see a familiar face! Well I guess familiar considering I had never actually met her in person before! Herman my host father and Nienke and I all then proceeded to finding the parking but not being able to find out car. But on our little rampage around the parking lot it gave me a good long while to realize how amazing the cars are in Europe! Now I have pretty much zero interest in cars, my boyfriend Alex can tell you that, but I definitely noticed that every car was a fancy looking brand and all of them are shiny and new looking and clean and I'm pretty sure since then on my constant remarking of the niceness of the cars, my host family must think that the average cars in Canada absolutely disgusting and scratched. It was a two and half hour drive from Amsterdam (in northern holland) to my where I've been living in Roermond (which is in the very far south of holland). My first impression of holland?? Rain. And I'm afraid exhaustion! It took almost all of my effort to stay awake and talk to Nienke during the car ride. When arriving to the house my host mum Hanneke and my host sister Maartje came outside to say hello and I gave them all a hug and then we had tea. They were all very shocked to see that I have my tea with milk and sugar... I had never found that weird but here everyone has their tea just straight and sometimes with sugar, but never milk. After that they showed me my room and told me that they would leave me be and come and wake me up in the evening for we were going into Roermond for Italian food. Once they left I'm sorry to say that I just started to cry and fell asleep. When I woke up it was time to go, I changed and left and w happy to see that it had stopped raining, as we were walking through town (which is like an 8 minute drive by car and 15 minute bike ride) I started taking picture of everything, the munsterkerk, the cobblestone roads, the terraces, the shops pretty much everything I laid my eyes on. When we got the the Italian food restaurant I could tell that normally the smell would have made me drool, but unfortunately my nausea from earlier was still in affect and the thought of food simply repulsed me. So my first meal in Europe, Italy food none the less, was a miss. During dinner I found my self having to think so much more than normal. When your with other people who natively speak your language you don't really think about what your saying as much you just know that they will understand you (yes I know I'm one to talk right?? Never makin and sense and speaking fast) but that dinner I was having to think about the simplest way to say thing and to say things slowly and that they were so many things I had to explain, when I got onto the topic of my family and friends back home I'm afraid I started to tear up and excused myself to the bathroom, oh that reminds me! The stairs here! Oh wow! Those of you who always say my bedroom stairs are steep? HAH! Come to Europe and try these stairs! After dinner we walked back to the car, I took more pictures of the European cars and then we went home, when we went home I expected to just go to bed but sleep couldn't come to me, I started to cry again and felt very homesick, for my bed, and my family and my boyfriend, and of course the typical self pity one gets when one is sick. Eventually I fell sleep, and thus concluded my first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment